History of the D&R Canal
- From its completion in 1834 to 1932 when it ceased operating, the Delaware and Raritan Canal was used to transport soldiers, goods, coal and even liquor (during Prohibition) through an intercoastal waterway.
- In 1871, coal transport slowed because of the Pennsylvania Railroad and the rise of rail transport.
- The Great Depression caused the Canal’s final demise for supply transport.
- In 1934, the Canal changed to a water supply system.
- In 1940 the locks were replaced by water control valves and parts of were filled in.
- In 1974, the Delaware and Raritan Canal was established as a National Historic Site and over 60 miles of the canal were preserved as a New Jersey State Park.
- The Park’s trail system was ultimately established as a National Recreation Rail in 1992.